Terabase Energy, Inc. is a Berkeley, CA-based venture backed startup that was founded by solar industry veterans as a result of a technology spinout from SunPower Corporation in 2019. Our mission is to accelerate the renewable energy transition by reducing soft costs and improving efficiency in the development, procurement and construction of large renewable energy projects. We serve our global clients using technology we develop and are already working on some of the largest and most impactful solar powerplant projects in the world.
Terabase is at the forefront of applying innovative techniques that will remove 70-80% of solar power plant assembly works from the field using a combination of advanced pre-assembly and construction techniques, factory methods, customized equipment and automation. The technology is the cornerstone of Terabase’ mission to lower the cost of solar electricity to $0.01/kWh by 2025. The position will lead a product development team and be responsible for mechanical design, analysis related to large structures, single axis tracking systems, and custom designed tools, fixtures, equipment, and processes.
The successful candidate will thrive in Terabase’s unique operating environment and culture: high-growth, innovative, lean, and values-driven. As such, successful candidates must be highly capable in each of the following dimensions (among others): adaptability, curiosity, resourcefulness, analytical thinking/problem solving, pro-activity, collaboration, technological savvy, operating in a dynamic environment and most importantly dedicated to the mission of accelerating the decarbonization of the global economy by utilizing digital and automation technology to further reduce the cost of utility-scale solar.
Do you approach the world with curiosity and ask the question “What if?” Do you enjoy solving interesting engineering problems that no one has solved before through using your creativity to quickly design, build and field test solutions? If so, this opportunity may be for you.
- Innovate solutions for improving solar utility power plant installation efficiency.
- Design, develop, manufacture and install new or modified mechanical components or systems.
- Iterate designs quickly to find the optimal product configuration.
- Perform thorough analysis and validation on mechanical designs leveraging both hands-on problem solving as well sound engineering practices.
- Own all phases of the product development process from concept, through prototyping, field testing, production drawings
- Contribute to other team members projects through collaborative design reviews
- Provide guidance and mentorship to other team members
- 5+ years of product development experience
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
- A demonstrated track record in product development
- Demonstrable experience with hands on prototyping and troubleshooting
- Ability to work independently and exercise solid decision making
- High level of CAD proficiency including 3D modeling, 2D drafting, and GD&T
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to perform hand calculations for design validation
- Able to work remotely and as part of a distributed team
- Experience in robotics and automation for high volume manufacturing
- Working knowledge of solar utility power plant components
- Ability to perform finite element analysis (e.g. ANSYS, ABAQUS, SolidWorks Simulation), for design validation including non-linear behavior
- Experience in evaluating structural dynamic behavior (due to wind or transportation loads)
- Demonstrated experience leading Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action problem solving for mechanical components