Terabase Energy, Inc. is a Berkeley, CA-based venture backed startup that was founded by solar industry veterans as a result of a technology spinout from SunPower Corporation in 2019. Our mission is to accelerate the renewable energy transition by reducing soft costs and improving efficiency in the development, procurement and construction of large renewable energy projects. We serve our global clients using technology we develop and are already working on some of the largest and most impactful solar powerplant projects in the world.
Terabase Energy seeks a Senior Electrical Engineer with strong photovoltaic experience to support the development, design and implementation of large-scale solar and energy storage projects globally. The Senior Electrical Engineer will interface directly with leading international solar developers, IPPs, EPC contractors and equipment manufacturers. The Senior Electrical Engineer may also advise on the development of in-house software related to design automation and optimization. The Senior Electrical Engineer will report to the Director of Project Engineering and will be responsible for directly and indirectly managing junior engineers and designers.
The Terabase project engineering and consulting team provides technical services across a wide range of roles including technical consulting, owner’s engineer, contractor’s engineer and detailed engineering and design. As such, the Senior Electrical Engineer must be comfortable in supporting projects from varying perspectives. The candidate must be capable of managing a dynamic workload. These duties must often be performed with limited information, conflicting interests, on short time frames, and with limited oversight.
During the development phase of a project, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for advising on early-stage design decisions, preparing preliminary design documentation and assisting in the preparation of RFP packages. This may include preparation of DC and MV AC single lines, running preliminary load flow and yield performance models, evaluating the impact of module and inverter equipment selections on balance of system performance and costs, performing preliminary balance of system electrical equipment sizing calculations, advising on GCR, DC/AC ratio and plant capacity and developing RFP requirements for array equipment and design. During the design and implementation stage of a project, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for preparing conceptual design packages, preparing equipment specifications, optimizing cable routing and trench configurations, providing technical reviews of PV Array and BESS design deliverables, attending factory acceptance tests for major equipment, and performing site visits during construction and commissioning. The Senior Electrical Engineer will also be responsible for coordinating with other engineering disciplines as well as with the engineering teams executing the substation and transmission line designs.
We seek a customer-oriented, hands-on, self-starter who is analytical and detail-oriented, with a commitment to excellence and a passion for renewable energy. This is a remote position based in the US. The candidate must be comfortable working remotely and interacting with internal team-members and clients primarily through web-based conference meetings and email. Some travel to project sites, Terabase and client offices, and manufacturing facilities will be required.
- Support large-scale solar and energy storage projects globally across the full project life cycle, from early-stage development to pre-bid, bid-support, detailed design, construction, and commissioning phase services.
- Function as an internal subject matter expert for PV, inverter and BESS technologies
- Function as a project manager for smaller consulting engagements or as a discipline engineer within a larger multi-disciplinary team.
- Perform electrical system modeling including short circuit, load flow, arc flash, cable trench thermal ampacity and step/touch potential.
- Proactively engage with internal and external stakeholders to ensure interface points between the substation and solar / BESS facilities are well-coordinated.
- Advise on issues that appear technically incorrect or inconsistent with contract documentation.
- Assist in the preparation of PV array and BESS RFP requirements.
- Prepare technical specifications for equipment including MV transformers, MV stations, cable, BESS, combiner boxes, etc.
- Provide review and oversight of PV Array and BESS design.
- Provide supervisory support during PV array construction activities with a focus on QA/QC.
- Review equipment factory acceptance test and site commissioning test reports for PV equipment and systems.
- Review and coordinate with EPC to ensure proper PV array and BESS energization procedures and overall commissioning scopes.
- Assist in developing internal standards, procedures, and templates to ensure quality and improve efficiency of Terabase deliverables.
- Advise on the development of in-house software related to design automation and optimization.
- Current on safety training and exhibit safe conduct while onsite and in the office.
- Travel and field work 10%-20%
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- Professional Engineering License
- 10+ years of experience in the design of electric power systems
- 5+ years of experience in the design and/or construction of large-scale renewable systems, large commercial PV systems or grid-tied BESS energy storage systems.
- Strong understanding of inverter capabilities and design considerations including MPPT, short circuit characteristics, frequency and voltage ride through, anti-islanding, reactive power capabilities and control and insulation monitoring.
- Strong understanding of solar photovoltaic module technologies and performance characteristics
- Experience in performance modeling for renewable systems using PVsyst, SAM, Plant Predict or similar.
- Experience performing power system studies including load flow, short circuit, arc flash, protection coordination using ETAP, SKM, EasyPower, or similar.
- Experience in preparing electrical design drawings in CAD.
- Strong understanding of the NEC and relevant IEEE standards
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with remote teams and clients.
- Strong MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) skills
- Willingness to travel to project sites and for customer meetings (when travel is possible and safe)
- Master’s degree in an engineering or technical discipline
- Experience in performing or reviewing ground grid studies, harmonic studies, lightning protection studies and dynamic transient stability studies.
- Experience with high voltage facilities including substations and transmission lines.
- Experience with AC or DC-coupled energy storage for large-scale renewables
- Working knowledge of the NESC and NFPA 70E
- Familiarity with the design of large-scale renewable systems outside of the US, including with applicable IEC standards.