Terabase Energy, Inc. is a Berkeley, CA-based venture backed startup that was founded by solar industry veterans as a result of a technology spinout from SunPower Corporation in 2019. Our mission is to accelerate the renewable energy transition by reducing soft costs and improving efficiency in the development, procurement and construction of large renewable energy projects. We serve our global clients using technology we develop and are already working on some of the largest and most impactful solar powerplant projects in the world.
Terabase Energy seeks a Senior Electrical Engineer with strong high voltage experience to support the development, design and implementation of high voltage substations and transmission lines for large-scale solar and energy storage projects globally. The Senior Electrical Engineer will interface directly with leading international solar developers, IPPs, EPC contractors and transmission system owners and operators. The Senior Electrical Engineer will report to the Director of Project Engineering and will be responsible for directly and indirectly managing junior engineers and designers.
The Terabase project engineering and consulting team provides technical services across a wide range of roles including technical consulting, owner’s engineer, contractor’s engineer and detailed engineering and design. As such, the Senior Electrical Engineer must be comfortable in supporting projects from varying perspectives. The candidate must be capable of managing a dynamic workload. These duties must often be performed with limited information, conflicting interests, on short time frames, and with limited oversight.
During the development phase of a project, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for supporting interconnection applications, running system models, and assisting in the preparation of RFP packages. This may include the preparation substation single lines and conceptual layouts, assisting in the siting of substations and route selection of gen-tie lines, preparing technical specifications for long lead equipment, and drafting technical requirements for substation and gen-tie line RFP bid packages. During the design and implementation stage of a project, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for preparing conceptual design packages, preparing equipment specifications, providing technical reviews of substation design deliverables, attending factory acceptance tests for major equipment, and performing site visits during construction and commissioning. The Senior Electrical Engineer will also be responsible for coordinating with other engineering disciplines as well as with the engineering teams executing the solar and energy storage facility designs.
We seek a customer-oriented, hands-on, self-starter who is analytical and detail-oriented, with a commitment to excellence and a passion for renewable energy. This is a remote position based in the US. The candidate must be comfortable working remotely and interacting with internal team-members and clients primarily through web-based conference meetings and email. Some travel to project sites, Terabase and client offices, and manufacturing facilities will be required.
- Support large-scale solar and energy storage projects globally across the full project life cycle, from early-stage development to pre-bid, bid-support, detailed design, construction, and commissioning phase services.
- Function as an internal electrical engineering subject matter expert for substations and transmission lines.
- Function as project lead for small engagements focused on HV facilities or interconnection.
- Function as discipline engineer within a larger team, reporting to a project manager, for large, multi-discipline project engagements.
- Advise on substation siting and layout during early-stage development.
- Advise on transmission line routing, tie-in location and strategy during early-stage development.
- Proactively engage with internal and external stakeholders to ensure interface points between the substation and solar / BESS facilities are well-coordinated.
- Advise on issues that appear technically incorrect or inconsistent with contract documentation.
- Assist in the preparation of substation and gen-tie line RFP requirements.
- Prepare technical specifications for long-lead electrical equipment such as HV transformers.
- Provide review and oversight of substation and transmission line design.
- Provide supervisory support during substation and transmission line construction activities with a focus on QA/QC.
- Review substation equipment factory acceptance test and site commissioning test reports.
- Review and coordinate with EPC to ensure proper substation energization procedures and overall commissioning scopes.
- Assist in developing internal standards, procedures, and templates to ensure quality and improve efficiency of Terabase deliverables.
- Current on safety training and exhibit safe conduct while onsite and in the office.
- Travel and field work 10%-20%
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 10+ years of experience in the design and/or construction of medium and high-voltage power systems.
- Strong understanding of relay protection schemes for solar and BESS collector substations.
- Strong understanding of substation equipment ratings including transformers, breakers, capacitor banks, switches, arrestors, protective relays, CTs and PTs, bus and cable.
- Proficiency in reading substation design drawings, wiring diagrams and schematics.
- Experience performing power system studies including load flow, short circuit, arc flash, protection coordination using ETAP, Aspen, SKM or PSS-E.
- Strong understanding of the NESC and relevant IEEE standards.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with remote teams and clients.
- Strong MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) skills
- Willingness to travel to project sites and for customer meetings (when travel is possible and safe)
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Professional Engineering License
- Experience in performing or reviewing substation ground grid studies, harmonic studies, lightning protection studies and dynamic transient stability studies.
- Experience with large-scale renewables, especially solar photovoltaic
- Experience with AC or DC-coupled energy storage for large-scale renewables
- Experience with programming relay settings files and with relay system testing.
- Working knowledge of the NEC
- Familiarity with the design of high voltage facilities outside of the US, including with applicable IEC standards.
- Familiarity with GIS (Gas Insulated Substation) equipment
- Familiarity with floating or submersible medium voltage equipment