About the job
Terabase is looking for an experienced Sr. Automation Systems Engineer with experience implementing automation projects. The Automation Systems Engineer is a key contributor of the product development team, reporting to the VP, Construction Solutions and will work closely with our R&D team to develop products that will radically change how large-scale utility power plants are constructed. Terabase is at the forefront of applying innovative techniques that will remove 70-80% of solar power plant assembly work from the field using a combination of advanced assembly and construction techniques, customized equipment, and automation. The technology will help enable Terabase’s mission to lower the cost of solar electricity to $0.01/kWh by 2025.
Successful candidates will thrive in Terabase’s unique operating environment and culture: high-growth, innovative, lean, and values-driven. As such, the successful candidate must be highly capable in each of the following dimensions (among others): adaptability, curiosity, resourcefulness, analytical thinking/problem solving, pro-activity, collaboration, technological savvy, and operating in a dynamic environment. Most importantly, you — like us — will be dedicated to accelerating the decarbonization of the global economy using digital and automation technology to further reduce the cost of utility-scale solar. The position will work closely with product managers and global business development leads to translate customer needs into product requirements and will work with the team to maintain a cross-functional strategy for the product roadmap.
- Work closely with our cross functional product development team of manufacturing, industrial and mechanical engineers to identify automation opportunities and then oversee the implementation of selected projects.
- Program and debug structure text and ladder logic code on multiple PLC controller platforms (Beckhoff TwinCAT and Rockwell Factory Talk Studio).
- Using a systems engineering approach, identify and allocate requirements, manage interfaces, and develop verification and validation plans.
- Collaborate closely with our mechanical engineering, industrial engineering and software teams to iterate on the mechanical design and the control solutions to optimize performance of our autonomous systems, factory automation equipment, robots, or vehicles.
- Participate in Terabase controls specification and standard creation, release for quote, and quote evaluation.
- Managing the network and hardware IT infrastructure.
- Document and communicate issues affecting cost, timing and quality.
- Identify opportunities for early risk reduction through prototyping and field testing.
- Concept and design of automation and material handling equipment.
- Provide calculations to validate equipment design and selection.
- Manage timely execution of field and factory automation and controls projects.
- Conduct product life cycle reviews (technical and stage gate), mediate trade-offs in order to ensure design solutions are in sync with product attribute targets.
- Occasional travel and support of outdoor field testing or to commercial utility powerplant projects.
- Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working on automation, robotics or other complex electromechanical systems is required.
- Track record of successful robotics, autonomy, or automation based-product development.
- Knowledge of good software development practices.
- Knowledge of computer networking.
- Ability and willingness to travel 25% to support field installations and field trial.
- Experience in PLC & HMI development – TwinCAT, Rockwell FactoryTalk, and Ignition.
- Set up and tune servo drives and VFDs (Beckhoff, SEW, Oriental Motors).
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time and uptime.
- Experience with microprocessor programming C/C++, Python.
- PCB board design and development.
- Experience with design and development of motor drives and power electronics.
- Use of Python programming to interface equipment with Terabase’s software platform.
- Robotic programming skills (FANUC, ABB Motion Studio).
- Vision systems (Cognex, Basler).
- Experience with Robotics Operating System (ROS), Autoware, and one or more real-time control systems (RTLinux, QNX, xPCTarget, LabView Realtime)
Normally we would be working together in our Berkeley main office but, like many companies, most of our employees work remotely for the time being. We will open our R&D center in the Davis/Sacramento area in 2021, so candidates located there will be especially well-positioned.